February 8, 2010

In books lies the soul of the whole past time. -Thomas Carlyle

I first started reading novels in Primary 6.
That was a 12 years old.
It was non-fiction. - by accident. ( a good accident)
(Please don't think that i'm a bore!)

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.
Could hardly remember the storyline, but i can vaguely remember it's about a mother. 
With a shit-ass father that drinks like hell and the writer has ALOT of siblings, which most of them died.
Died of poverty and disease.
Lotsa hardships.
And in the end he ended up somewhere nice, with a job and promising future.
(hahaha! hardly a description, let alone summary)

Anyways, it wasn't like any other 12 years old to buy these kinda books, eh?
I was a little influenced by my sister, that was reading some novels back then.
I thought that i wanna read as well.
She looked so engrossed. (and it seems that i had turned into that as well =P)
I didn't realise that this was a non-fiction, i was taken in by the word 'winner' and 'prize'.
For it to win some kinda award, it must be a good book.
That's what i thought.
So i purchased it (Not literally lah. Put it on the counter and my dad purchased it. lols)
It didn't turn out that bad. It was heart-warming, quite interesting.
Can still remember my first novel till today. Proud of it.
Ever since then, i'm into these kinda novels.
A little more to serious type, mid-life type. Memoirs. Autobiographies. Mystery. Action-adventure. Sometimes romance.
I do read chick-lits, sometimes, almost rarely.
Minimum cheesy romance, if possible.
Just like this one i'm about to show u guys.

I just finished this chick-lit novel, by the way.
 
It's my sister's.
Had 'insomnia' one night due to the mocha i had when i was out with the peeps from church.
No matter how much i roll on the bed, i couldn't sleep.
So i went to the book shelf that has my sister's and my books there.
Looked through my sister's collection, since i've already read mine (naturally).
Took me 2 and a half day to finish this book.
Don't be deceived by the pink covers.
Pink always reflected innocence and feminity.
Yeah, it has feminity in it. A little overdosed. But it was one twisted storyline.
Father screwing 'grandmother', mother, mistress.
Son banging girls in college AND dad's mistress.
Lols. No further details. 
And i'm not gonna review the book.
I predicted the ending when i was at the third quarter of the book.
But it's not a boring book.
Worth my time / sacrifice (homework - don't ask)

2 comments:

cho said...

LOL. but now wif the existance of chick-lit, pink no longer portrays innocence 4 me. it portrays... chic-lit. haha.
n btw, since when u liked reading action-adventure? never knew. hehehe

fwJL said...

lol. fine, action-adventure, not THAT much, but yeah i still read 'em.
well, this novel isn't as chick-lit as u think it is (yeah, the pink). more to mystery, though its genre is chick-lit. lol.
best thing is, the romance isn't cheesy and oozy and gooey (lol wrong term >.< )