September 12, 2010

Aftershock review

I watched these 2 movies back to back. The first was Assassins, starring Louis Koo. Second one was Aftershock.
After the first movie, i thought that it was quite a good movie. It's not a movie about any normal sniper assassins. They're a bunch of assassins that carefully plan the murder of their customer's target to make it look as if it's an everyday accident. U can watch it if u want to. But it's not that satisfying. Rating would be 6 over 10. Anyways i'm not here to talk about this movie.

Aftershock.

What a name. Fuhh. But in chinese it's called "Tang Shan Da Di Zhen" which means Tangshan's earthquake. lol so the english and chinese names weren't a direct translation like some other movies.
One piece of advice before watching this movie ; prepare a box of tissue in front of u and make sure the room is dark or make sure that u watch this in front of ppl that u're not paiseh to cry in front of, or watch it alone. LOL THAT WAS MORE THAN ONE but yeah.
I had no idea what was this movie about when i sat down and joined my dad cos he just plays any random movie.

The one thing i wasn't satisfied about this movie was that the graphics for the earthquake in the beginning was a little too fake. Other than that, both my thumbs were up. I didn't know if it was the emo part of me that were taking over me or what, but i literally cried during the whole 2 hours of the movie. Only if i weren't trying to suppress the tears from coming out. I really seriously did hold back like a thousand times cos i had my gramma beside me n my dad in front of me (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) but there were only a thousand other times where i reached the point where i couldn't hold back anymore.

The movie started by showing the everyday life of a family of 4 (father, mother, twins - bro and sis), took place in Tangshan, China. And there was this part where the rubble was on top of the twins, the sister at one end and the brother at the other. The mother had to choose between these 2 cos when they lift the rubble at one end, the other end will crush the other kid. OMG LA HOW TO CHOOSE MAN -.- but anyways she chose the bro at the end. And the girl heard every word.  I won't go into details cos i really would recommend u guys to watch this movie, and i don't wanna spoil it for u guys.

And then they showed the lives of both the bro's and sis's life, separated for 32 years, mother was still alive of course. The sister was adopted by a couple from the Tangshan rescue team. Filled with guilt and grief, the mother lived her life for 32 years before the bro n sis reunited at a rescue mission at another earthquake in Chengdu. The beginning of the movie was filled with tears, the reunion was filled with tears, the end was filled with tears LIKE OMG LA how much tears do u want from me?!

However, the reunion of the daughter and the mother wasn't the typical reunion where the mother will drop everything that she's doing and run towards her daughter or some sort like that. I won't go into detail here either nehh :)

Nah. The reunion of the twins. The girl (sister) damn chio right.

The cast


I heard from my dad that they actually filmed the real earthquake scene (satellite view) from the earthquake in Tangshan 1976 and managed to insert it in the movie. That's the earthquake in the beginning of the movie. In a way, this movie is like Titanic. Not the storyline, but the pattern.

Overall it's a good movie, i'd say. Not because it succeeded in making me sob like bleh but the storyline was great. Great cast too. I'd give it 9.5 over 10 :)

Watch. It's worth your time.

No comments: